Saturday, April 17, 2021

New Wheels and the Art of Falling

 Keira got roller skates the other day as an early birthday present. There were some available at a local shop. They happened to be her size. Seems roller skates, like bikes, are in short supply these days. So, we just got them and since she'd gone to try them on, we figured there was no dense in hiding them away for a month... I mean, the kid, who had barely left the house this past year, is STOKED about them NOW! 

Riding home from Escape Sports - new roller stakes balanced on the handlebars on the back of our tandem. 

I mean, LOOK AT THAT SMILE!? 

Keira wasn't excited about going out on her own while trying to learn... As I wasn't allowed to buy new roller skates, I decided I should dig out the unicycle that I bought.... oh... almost 20 years ago and I'm not sure I've even bothered trying to ride it since my initial catastrophes... 

There were falls... 

Like, both of us. But there weren't any pictures of any of my spectacular spills! 

By the end of our first session, Keira was doing pretty good. 

Went out again today. I am feeling sore. but actually starting to get the hang of it... 


I actually went much further than I've ever gone before - which was pretty surprising! 

Maybe if we keep this up all summer I'll get the hang of it... I mean, I'm not expecting to be the next Kris Holm, or anything... It'd be nice to be able to start without having to hold onto a pole and actually be able to ride the length of a block - ideally not looking like a flailing maniac about to crash at any second. 


Keira seems to be getting the hang of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment