Friday, April 2, 2021

March

 It came. It went. I got out a bit more for a bit. Then didn't. It was very much an in like a lamb, out like a lion kind of March. We had a greadually warming temperatures throughout the month... then a blizzard on the 29th, and I didn't leave the house for four days. 



Beaver! This was earlier in the month and a bit of a surprise to see one out and about this early - when it was still fairly cold! 









Despite the snow and ice in my backyard, by mid month the roads were all dry and so I wanted to get the Salsa set up for riding. I needed some new tires and found these Shawalbes deeply discounted at my local bike show - $10 each!? So I thought I'd give them a try! 



Got Keira's summer bike ready for riding as well! 



She needed the seat adjusted and I ended up breaking the damned thing... 

She rode all the way to the store with her seat all the way down, thinking we'd pick up a new one and carry on our way... but they were CLOSED and she had to ride all the way home. 

Luckily, I'd gotten the tandem road ready, so we went out with that, instead. 






Eight years ago, on the first day of spring we had a blizzard. It took a WEEK for the city to get out and clear the paths near our place, and this is what it looked like when they did. The snow lasted well into May. It is the reason why, when we get an early melt in February or March and people start saying "looks like spring is here early" - as they were doing this year - I say "WAIT FOR IT!"

Sure enough, on the 29th we had a blizzard - not as bad as 8 years ago... but it was brutal enough that no one was going anywhere for a couple days. It's mostly all melted now, though. 






4 comments:

  1. Cycling on highways in early spring can pose a hazard with all of the sand and small bits of gravel that migrate onto the shoulder. Parking in the bike lane is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. How rude! You are an all-season cyclist. Me, I am more of a fair weather guy, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our bike lanes all look like gravel roads until they start clearing the streets of the gravel they spent all winter spreading on the snow and ice. Which is often May...

    When they first put in that separated bike lane...? Three...? FOUR years ago...? I could understand the confusion. But at this point it is willful ignorance... or just being a dick on purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see this behavior everytime time I ride. Last time out, I came across TWO motorcycles PARKED in the bike lane. Perhaps the signage is confusing? The posted sign states, "Bikes Only!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see it frequently as well... but I'd have to say MOST people are very friendly and accepting and "get it"... it's just that the ones that don't... I don't know... There are some out there that just have a bizarre psychotic hatred of cyclists and any infrastructure related to cycling.

    ReplyDelete