Tuesday, August 16, 2022

2022 Rides - Week Thirty-Two

 

All this past week I rode up to the Rusty Mcdonald Library with Keiran on the tandem every the morning to drop them off at the Sage Hill youth writing program, and then rode back up to pick them up later in the afternoon! It was a 14m round trip each time! So I was doing 28Km each day just getting them there and back! 

I have to say, this kid has come a LONG way this past year. A year ago they were suffering from crippling social anxiety - they would barely leave the house at all, certainly not on their own. I highly doubt they would have got to any workshop with a pile of complete strangers for a week (no matter how much the might desperately WANT to)... and they definitely would not have just walked in there on their own... 

When I dropped them off Monday morning I suggested I could wait outside for a bit and they could text me a thumbs up when they got in and figured out where they were going and if it all seemed okay. They just said, "nah, you can just go..."

We DID ride up here the previous week - partly to scout a cycling route to get here, but also I made them go into the building on their own (after I had done so!) to see where the library was in the building and where the meeting rooms were that the workshop would likely be taking place in. 

It was lovely Monday morning.

By the afternoon it got really HOT - I thought I was going to die climbing the big hill up Pembina Avenue... 

All week we rolled past this cute little "free library" on the way to the public library... 

It kind of made me laugh... 

I have to admit, I was curious... but was a little afraid of finding thirty-seven copies of Fifty Shades of Grey in there... 

One of the mornings we spotted cormorants on the cables over the river. 

Part way through the week they closed off part of the trail to do some work on it... 

And the detour turned out to be a bit of a challenge - Almost hit that light post a couple times while dodging branches!? 

Thursday, on the way home, Keiran and I stopped for groceries at Preston Crossing and then checked to see if Amanda was ready to leave as we rolled through campus. She said she was... but then we ended up waiting while she finished "just one more thing!"

Riding home with Amanda. 

Friday we went to meet our new family doctor! Yay! 

I did a LOT of riding in the end this week... but not a lot of picture taking - it was mostly hauling and picking up Keiran from places and a few other errands... not a LOT of pictures were taken (thankfully! less to sort through and decide what to post!) 

I took Saturday off (I was tired, it was hot!!!) 

Sunday morning I decided to paint a portrait of the PURPLE SURLY KARATE MONKEY!

Afterwards, I decided I needed to actually go for a RIDE on the the Purple Karate Monkey! 

hit some of the easy single track along the river valley. 

And that was it! I did make my 200Km goal... but didn't do much extra to try and catch up the kilometres I missed the last two weeks.... 

4 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed the photos and the positive news.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  2. 200km a week is impressive! Enjoyed the photos and commuting challenges. A Day in the Life…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was challenging myself to ride 6000Km this year! It seems like a lot... but I have friends who do almost three times that much!? They do stuff like ride the Continental Divide Trail and do 700Km backcountry trail/gravel races that they complete in 3 days!? Sometimes it makes me feel like a bit of a slug that hardly does anything!? It's all perspective, though. I need to remember THEY are the extreme outliers, I'm actually probably still above average compared to the rest of my acquaintances!

      Delete