Wednesday, August 10, 2022

2022 Rides - Week Thirty-One

 Monday, 1 August 2022, was "Saskatchewan Day" - a statutory holiday here in Saskatchewan - so Amanda had the day off and decided we should go for a paddle. 

There is a whole separate post about that... 

Saskatchewan Day Paddle

Tuesday I rolled over to the Broadway area to drop some stuff off at a friends and then rode down to the South Bridges, just to get some extra distance in... 

It had rained a lot the night before... and most of the day... and I thought I might just get rained on before I got home... 

Lots of sections of pathway through Gabriel Dumont Park were partly washed out - lots of these cones all over the place. 

Gulls out on the water. I stopped to try and take some pictures with the better camera... only to find the battery was dead... 

CrAzY clouds. 

I did not get rained on in the end. 

Wednesday I rode keiran over to dance class on the tandem and pick them up again later. Admired MORE crazy clouds while waiting for light to cross 22nd. 

Thursday I rode up to Chief Mistawasis Bridge and east through the swale. Hit some dirt trails along the river bank on the west side. 

View from the west side of the bridge. 

Lots of ducks and their babies in the wetlands. 

Our friend the Swainson's Hawk at its usual post.

As it was well past quitting time when I rolled past campus I check to see if Amanda was still working (and she was!?) so I convinced her to ride home with me. 

Friday scouted a route to the library Keiran would be doing workshops at all next week and art show

On the way home we stopped at City Perks to check out the Wild in the City art show that I have a few pieces in. 

Later in the afternoon I did a loop of the bridges. 

South bridges

Lots of Pelicans and Cormorants on the island by the weir. 

Circle Drive Bridge

By the weir on the other side of the river. 

Again, I met up with Amanda who was working late and rode home together. 

Saturday I made a quick trip to Broadway for supper fixings. 

Sunday up to folks and then back on other side of river. 

Later on Sunday, I went for a ride south of town. 

How long has it been since I went out this way!? Fields are turning yellow already!?

Lots of Black-eyed Susans along the edges of roads everywhere. 

In two separate locations I was startled by very well camouflaged Goldfinches taking to flight from clumps of Black-Eyed Susans as I rode past. (can you see the goldfinch in the picture above!?) 

There he is! 

Hit some sandy summer roads. 

Saw lots of other birds. Kestrels... Some other hawk I coudln't identify or get a good picture of... 

Raven on a power pole 

Young Mountain Bluebirds

Scores of Magpies! 

Heading back into town. 

more yellowing fields

Some kind of party on one of the islands in the river. 

That's all for this week. 

2 comments:

  1. I had to look up "Saskatchewan Day" on the Wikipedia. Apparently it's a catch-all civic holiday in most of Canada? And each locality gets to tweak it to their benefit. I was puzzled at first seeing "John Galt Day" in Guelph, Ontario. Are they really into Ayn Rand there? Turns out it's also a Scottish writer. (I'm guessing "John Galt Day" would be more approps for Hamilton, ON or St. Catharines, ON in the seventies, then? ;-) )

    In any case, looks like the 2023 holiday falls on August 7th, which is my birthday. So I decree that it will be known as "Shawn Granton Day" then.

    Best,
    Shawn
    https://urbanadventureleague.wordpress.com/landing-page/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn Granton Day it is!

      (and a belated Happy Birthday to you for this year!)

      Yeah, it's just a generic Civic Holiday named different things in different places.

      Delete