Monday, May 7, 2018

Monday Ride to the North Bridge

Today the kids and I rode up to check out the progress on the new North Commuter Parkway bridge.



It was pretty overcast and there was a bit of a breeze - which was actually really nice, compared to Sunday, which had been rather warm!



Trees are starting to grow leaves, but things are still looking rather grey and brown...



Still heading north.



Crocuses!



I rode out this was last July and there has clearly been work done since then... but, like the Traffic Bridge downtown, it seems to be going at a snails pace. It also doesn't look like they've done any work on either side of the river to extend the Mewassin Trail to the Bridge. I hope they don't end up doing so as an afterthought - like they did with the South Bridge!



It was mostly overcast for most of the ride and I thought for sure a few times we might get rained on before we got home, but we seemed to dodge the rain, if there was any at all.



Heading south again.



Snack break.



the kids were very curious about this centre block in the brick work - it seemed to have metal handles... but it wasn't clear what they were for. It didn't seem like it was something that could actually be lifted out of there...? Time Capsule? Entrance to Evil Geniuses Secret Lair? Many possibilities were put forward, but no certain answers were found...



Twisty turns bit of trail.



I noticed a few bits across the river on the east bank that still had bits of snow and ice.



Checking out the weir and the pelicans.

I think I mentioned in the previous post I picked up a GPS bike computer to track how much I ride over the next year(s) - out of curiosity (not some serious sort of training program or anything - but maybe as a little bit of an incentive to get a bit more fit again and a little less fat...). I have been tracking it on Strava. Here is today's ride:



So far in they first week of May, I've ridden 112.5Km. It isn't much in the grand scheme of things. I used to do that on an average Sunday morning... but it's more than I've done in a week for a while, so... it's a start at getting fit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment