Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Bike Barn

Welcome to the Bike Barn. This is Tim’s Bicycle Storage Facility Mk. III. The first two were really just big sheds with very solid doors. This one I build with considerable help from my friend John Bertolini who builds timber framed buildings (and furniture… and other stuff…). Actually I didn’t do THAT much of the building at all on this one, it was mostly John, and I just helped out!

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version)


The Exterior. Metal roof, wood siding. I built the door!


Inside: the Wall o’ Bikes!


A couple of non-pedal driven human powered vehicles hanging in the rafters (The Kayaks) and the tandem on the far wall.


How embarrassing… My workbench isn’t always this messy… well.. okay it usually is… but it really BOTHERS me that it’s always this messy!?

John didn’t think the “Bike Barn” was all that great of a name – said it sounded like a bicycle discount retail outlet that would have really loud annoying commercials on TV with promises of DEALS! DEAL! DEALS! (“C’MON DOWN TO TIM’S BIKE BARN WHERE YOU WILL FIND NUTHIN’ BUT CRAZY, CRAZY DEALS ON BIKES – WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD! - AND DON’T FORGET THE FIRST FIFTY BIKES SOLD THIS SATURDAY COME WITH A FREE TOASTER! THAT’S RIGHT IF YOU’RE ONE OF THE FIRST FIFTY LUCKY PEOPLE TO BUY A BIKE THIS SATURDAY YOU WILL GET ONE OF THESE TOASTERS ABSOLOUTLY FREE OF CHARGE!")

Maybe he's right. It's just too darn big and solid to call a "Bike Shed", though, and "Garage" seems to imply that it's for cars - which it is NOT. I have on occasion referred to it as "The Shop" (on account of all the tools in it and the fact that I have used them out there) but that's not really it's primary purpose... I don't know... Anybody got a better idea for a name?

3 comments:

  1. Very nice "Bike Stable"! Needs a couple more boats though.

    Cheers,
    Bryan

    p.s. I blogged about you today. It won't show up until tonight though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bryan!

    Hmmmmm.... "Stable".... maybe that does sound a bit better than "Barn"...

    "More Boats"!? Good gracious - the ones I got are used so rarely it's embarrassing.... or were you suggesting I store some of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a solid looking structure!

    I like "Bike Barn", but maybe because I grew up in a rural area. Maybe "Bike Shack" as an alternative, though still sounds like a discount bike store.

    ReplyDelete