Sunday, July 10, 2022

2022 Rides - Week Twenty-Seven

 Kicked off Monday rollingout to recycle bottles with Amanda. Later in the afternoon I headed South and West, much like I had the day before... Its now summer and I'm shooting to do 200+ Km/week for the next eight weeks. 

couches still there... 

Canola

Quiet summer road

The road heading north - where I'd planned to go the day before... but then went south instead. 

TRAIN! 

Rail Crossing

Train at the rail crossing. 

It wasn't a terribly long train... and I was already across the tracks well before it came by.. 

big dead tree. 

White Cows. 

Llamas? Alpacas...? I'm never sure. 

Geese and bebes

By the end of the day Id done 45Km - and was feeling like that was a pretty good start to the week!

Monday night just after midnight Keiran started puking...  and then spraying liquids out the other end too... I was wondering if a conduit to another dimension had entered them as I was confounded to understand how much liquid came out of them... just when I thought; "Okay, there can't be ANY MORE!" another fountain would come gushing out one end or the other!? 

By 4 AM it was all endless dry heaves... and that's when AMANDA started... 

So no one went anywhere Tuesday. Keiran and Amanda were still feeling too sick to eat anthing and exhausted from being up most of the night. I was exhausted from ALSO being up most of the night. 

By about noon on Tuesday Finnegan started feeling ill as well! He called in sick for work and spent most of the day in bed. Every so often he'd start feeling like it wasn't so bad and that maybe he should have gone to work... and then he'd sit or stand up and rush to the bathroom feeling like he was going to throw up... but then didn't. 

I wasn't feeling so hot most of the day either... I did get a drawing done, though... 

By Wednesday it had mostly passed. Amanda worked from home. Keiran lay on the couch most of the day. I was still feeling pretty worn down myself (so I got caught up on some blogifying)... and Finnegan did go into work. 

Fun times... 

I don't really have much of an excuse for Thursday... lazy I guess... and by Friday it was MY turn to be sick... so... that was it for the week. 

Hopefully this next week will be better. 

(at least this week was easier for photo editing and stuff!) 


5 comments:

  1. Yikes! That sounded like a nightmare to deal with. I'm guessing it was food poisoning of some sort?

    And I remember all the canola fields when I was on tour. Shortly after getting back from that tour, I went to a slideshow presentation put on by a touring couple who also did a tour through the plains/prairies. A slide came up of canola fields and they said something like: "We're not sure what this crop was. It might be canola but it could also be sunflower seed." And I couldn't stop myself from blurting out "If it was sunflower SEED, you would see SUNFLOWERS." Yeesh.

    -Shawn
    https://urbanadventureleague.wordpress.com/landing-page/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food poisoning is what I initially thought, as it was both Keiran and Amanda at the same time, and they'd had different stuff to eat for supper on Monday... But then Finnegan was also feeling sic; Tuesday afternoon and evening.. and then I was sick a few days later...?! I don't know... Whatever it was, it was AWFUL, but seems like everyone is on the mend!

      Someone from Ireland that Amanda met in her travels before she met me did a bus tour across Canada just after we met in the early 90s. She stopped and visited with us for a few days. She told us about driving past fields of Canola and the guide pointed it out and she was like; "I don't know what this 'Canola' is, but that looks like a field of Rape seed to me!?" I was kind of flabbergasted that she'd never heard of Canola! Now I realize maybe it wasn't as common outside of Canada/North America at the time...?

      Delete
    2. Apparently canola is a variety of rapeseed. From Ye Old Wikepedia:
      "Canola was bred from rapeseed cultivars of B. napus and B. rapa at the University of Manitoba, Canada, by Keith Downey and Baldur R. Stefansson in the early 1970s,[9][10] having then a different nutritional profile than present-day oil in addition to much less erucic acid.[11] Canola was originally a trademark name of the Rapeseed Association of Canada, and the name was a condensation of "Can" from Canada and "OLA " meaning "Oil, low acid",[12][13] but is now a generic term for edible varieties of rapeseed oil in North America and Australasia.[14] The change in name serves to distinguish it from natural rapeseed oil, which has much higher erucic acid content."

      I don't think Canola is as common in Europe, but old rapeseed is. Still, it's one of those, how you say, weird sounding words, a word I'm glad we don't use on this side of the pond.

      It's like how people from the British Isles refer to the fuel alcohol for stoves as "meths" as short for methyl alcohol. I hope that when they do a bike tour in the US or Canada they don't ask around looking for "meths" for their stove. They might not like the response! ;-)

      -Shawn

      Delete
    3. Oh, I know. I worked at Agriculture Canada in the 90s for scientists that were still working on selective breeding programs with Brassica Rapa - and were just starting to work with transgenics! I wasn't doing actual science stuff - more field labour and counting seeds... But I did learn a bit about Canola!

      There is a town in Northeast Sask called Tisdale that was known as "the Land of Rape and Honey" - I think they still had a sign outside the town proclaiming it so well into the 90s...? Maybe even the 00s...? I think that's where Ministry got it's name for one of their albums!

      Spoke too soon about us all being recovered... Amanda just came home early from work feeling ill! Maybe it was two different things - started with food poisoning... then I got some flu-like illness.... now Amanda's got that!? I don't know, but it sucks...

      Delete
    4. Oh! Holy Carp! They didn't drop the Land of Rape and Hoeny Slogan until 2016!? Yikes!

      Delete