Wednesday, June 22, 2022

2022 Rides - Week Twenty-Four

Monday 13 June I rode with Keiran to school on the tandem and then did a look of the south bridges and the Circle Drive Bridge

Rolling out it looked pretty grey and I thought maybe I'd get rained on... but I don't think I did... 

Spotted this little critter, which was pretty exciting. 

It's an America Mink. I usually see one about once a year, somewhere along the river downtown. They like to hide and play among the rocks on the banks of the river. 

Geese by the Vimy Memorial

The pedestrian/bicycle bridge at Circle Drive. 

New graffiti on the Circle Drive Bridge... which made me giggle... because I'm still twelve years old, apparently...!?

Path under the CPR bridge

Downtown and surroundings looking pretty green! 

Tuesday 14 June I dropped Keiran off at school again and then rode up to the Chief Mistawasis Beidge and east Through the swale. 

Spotted a Peregrin Falcon atop a downtown building. 

Crazy clouds...

Again thought I was totally going to get rained on, and I did, but it was very light and very brief. 

More crazy clouds being reflected in the uncharacteristically still water near the Chief Mistawasis Bridge. 

Heading back towards home, I spotted a pair of idiots trying to fish from a canoe near the weir!? Wow... Couple of potential Darwin Award candidates right there... 

Wednesday 15 June rode with Keiran to school and then rushed back home to switch bikes and head downtown for an appointment! 

Was almost late for appoinement because I, obviously, HAD to stop and take piles of pictures of the totally still river water reflecting stuff!? 

I mean, how could I NOT!? 

And... y'know... the GEESE!? 

More relfections

Also contributing to my lateness was construction requiring detours!? 

After the appointment I rolled up to the Circle Drive Bridge and across and down preston to the 14th street bikeway and to Staples and Superstore.... near Preston Crossing i spotted a DEER!? It quickly darted off into some neaby trees, but it stopped long enough to see if I was pursuing - which was long enough for me to get a picture of it! 

All I did Thursday was take Keiran to school and pick them up after - but after I picked them up we rolled downtown to the library to pick up some books on hold... 

On our way home we spotted the downtown Gosling Day Care going out for swimming lessons

They're all getting so big. 

Friday 17 June was another day of just ferrying Keiran about on the tandem - to and from school, then to and from a junior prom-like-event at Free Flow Dance Centre

Saturday 18 June I tooke Keiran downtown to meet some friends from school to walk in the Saskatoon Pride parade. 

This really doesn't give a good sense of how many people were there... it seriously felt like the entire city was walking in the parade - there were so many people in the marshalling area and as I rode home, there was just an unending stream of people heading in the opposite direction towards the marshalling area. I wondered who would be WATCHING the parade if EVERYONE was IN it!? (I am assured there were many, MANY people lining the streets). 

After the isolation of the last few years of pandemic and all the unending news cycle of hateful anti-gay/trans legislation being passed in so many states, it was uplifting to see SO MANY PEOPLE coming out to be involved in and support the Pride parade and festival. I would be a massive understatement to say I wasn't a little emotional as I rode along the trails downtown 

I was heading home because parades are just not my thing, for so many reasons... I find them overwhelming and loud, and simultaneously sooooo loooooong and boring. I also had plans to go for longer rides on both Saturday and Sunday to get me up to 200Km this week... 

But then it was +35°C on Saturday and the ride downtown to drop off Keiran almost did me in... 

I used to be less affected by such extremes, but the last few years I've felt like dying anytime the temperature gets above +25°C!? 

So I hid indoors all day.

Sunday 19 June I also planned to get out and ride... but I had book club in the evening and had not read the book... so I stayed home and did that... 

Maybe next week... 

No comments:

Post a Comment