Tuesday, June 29, 2021

And Now for Something Completely Different

 24 years ago, after Amanda and i sold our first house, we bought kayaks! I think we'd paid $75000 for a small wartime house in the university area on a 40' lot. A year later we sold it for $85000 and thought we'd made out like bandits and treated ourselves to a pair of Necky kayaks. (Nevermind that that same house would probably be worth $750000 now... but... whatevs...). 

My parents, at the time, we living at a cottage at Blackstrap Lake and we'd moved to a small house in a small town that we were able to buy outright - the main reason was we weren't sure how we were ever going to take months off to ride bikes across Canada if we were having to keep up the mortgage payments on the house we'd sold. 

Never did ride across Canada... I digress.

We used the kayaks fairly regularly while they were at my folks and we were living out of town. When Amanda and I and my folks all moved back into town - about 20 years ago - they got used much less. part of the problem was being able to get them to the water without a car. 

A bout a month ago, I got to thinking; "hey, wouldn't it be fun to go kayaking" and ordered myself a Kayak Cart from Wike, and a week or so ago I rolled the kayak down to the river to go for a little paddle. 

Heading out up the river, into the wind... I legit could have walked faster than I was going...

Geese on the shore. 

Hey, Look! The bridge!

The Bridge(s)... but closer...

Other side of the bridges. Those waves seemed super bigger out on the water. The wind was 40kph - gusting to 60!

More bridge.

wending my way between sandbars under the bridge - got hung up when it got a little too shallow!

Heading back downtown.

Pelican. They are big beasties when you get up close. 

The WIKE cart to haul the Kayak down to the water. It worked SO MUCH BETTER than the stern-wheel-roller-thingies we had before. Amanda says we might have to buy a second one and start going out for paddles together!

I've ordered a new PDF, as the old one I had... well... I'm not the skinny 25-year-old I was half a lifetime ago. 

1 comment:

  1. I vaguely remember that whole "leaving Saskatoon" thing mentioned in Pulpspotting.
    (You still have copies of that?)

    -Shawn
    https://urbanadventureleague.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete